Annual Test Inspection and Maintenance
Annual test and inspection of lightning protection is essential for the safeguard of structures, their contents and the lives of their occupants. As such, annual maintenance is a vital part of any lightning protection system’s longevity, efficiency, safety, and is recommended annually by both the current British Standard, BS EN 62305 and its predecessor, BS 6651.
Annual testing, inspection and maintenance of lightning protection systems is an important part of the facilities management program. Here’s why:
- Lightning Protection is fundamentally installed to reduce the risk of “loss of human life” and “loss of service to the public” in accordance with BS EN 62305.
- Maintenance of the Lightning Protection System is often a requirement of the building insurances.
- The electricity at work regulations 1989 states that “all systems shall be maintained so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, danger”.
- The effectiveness of the Lightning Protection System may be reduced over time due to physical damage, corrosion, adverse weather conditions, or as a result of additions or alterations to the building under protection.
- Earth electrode resistance values can fluctuate adversely over time and are susceptible to changing weather conditions. As such it is an industry recommendation that a test and inspection is carried out at 11 month intervals in order to cover all seasons over a period of time.
Following each test and inspection we provide a detailed report, highlighting any necessary repairs or issues, backed up with photographic evidence together with a free of charge, no obligation competitive quotation for your consideration. As an alternative, the materials required for any subsequent repair can be purchased directly from our on-line shop for installation by a competent third party.